What is a Tamping Rammer?
A tamping rammer is a machine used to compact different types of soil in various construction scenarios. It exerts an impact on the soil surface to make it evenly flat and compact.
The vibratory tamping rammer machine is a lightweight and portable compaction machine that uses vibration to compact the soil. The rounded body and simple operation allow it to reach out to small corners, making it a perfect device for use in hard-to-reach places. These machines use gasoline, diesel power, or electric motors.
Tamping rammer and plate compactor for difference
The plate compactors use vibration to do their work. The user pushes the machine over the compacted surface, and its heavy plate vibrates up and down to compact the soil.
This movement forces the soil below to pile up. Flat plate compactors use diesel, gasoline, or electric motors.
Granular soil is silt, sand, or gravel. It has almost no clay content and is composed of large, coarse particles that can easily be seen by individuals. This type of soil is easily broken. Even if it is wet, it will not show too much cohesion.
For granular soil, the vibrating plate compactor is the ideal choice. Granular soil responds well to vibrations, which force air and space out of the particles. Generally speaking, professionals should use a flat plate compactor to process granular materials that do not exceed six inches.
The vibrating plate compactor is also suitable for larger areas. This is just because it is easy to use.
Most compactors are very spacious, making them more suitable for open areas. Again, these machines are more suitable for flat surfaces and provide a uniform layer on these areas.
Therefore, the equipment is very suitable for foundations and asphalt driveways, parking lots, and maintenance. In addition, the machine can be easily tamped in locations where the drum may not be able to reach.
Unlike the plate compactor, the rammer compacts the soil through impact. They provide a powerful force to compress the soil and squeeze out any water and air. They also run on fuel.
Tamping rammers, also known as jump jacks or jack rammers, are very suitable for soils with a humidity range of 13%. Regarding soil types, they should be used with cohesive soils.
Cohesive soil refers to clay or any type of soil with high clay content. This soil binds firmly, especially when it is wet. Cohesive soil is difficult to break and will not chip when dry.
Avoid using a rammer on gravel or asphalt, as this may damage the machine. In addition, the rammer is not suitable for granular materials. If you try to use one on such soil, you will only create a hole.
Due to direct compaction, instead of vibrating the soil in place, tamping rammers focus more attention on specific locations. In addition, their more stylish design allows them to enter areas that the vibrating plate compactor may not be able to reach.
Because of these characteristics, they perform well in small areas, narrow places, or trenches.
Type of tamping rammer
Impact rammers are generally divided into three types: gasoline, diesel, and electric.
1) Gasoline engine tamping rammer
Manufactured according to the principle of a two-stroke internal combustion engine, there are two upper and lower pistons in the cylinder, the upper piston is an internal combustion piston, and the lower piston is a buffer piston. The lower part of the cylinder is fitted with a rammer with an inclined bottom surface so that the vertical axis of the cylinder is inclined forward. The upper piston rod protrudes from the through-hole in the middle of the cylinder head cover, and the lower piston rod protrudes from the lower end of the cylinder and is integrated with the rammer. The cylinder and the rammer are tensioned by springs, and handrails are provided to control the rammer.
The impact ramming product has a wide range of uses. It is not only suitable for the tamping and leveling of various sand, gravel, and soil, but also for the tamping and leveling of asphalt gravel, concrete, and clay, and is especially suitable for construction, ground, courtyard, roadbed, bridge piles, and trenches. The construction in environments such as troughs, fields, narrow sites, etc., overcomes the troubles of electric rammers looking for power cables and unable to work without power, especially overcoming the unsafe factors of electric rammers on humans, and it can be competent for large and medium-sized machinery, Construction tasks.
2)Motor tamping rammer
It is made by using the principle of rotating inertia force and is composed of a rammer, a ram frame, an eccentric block, a pulley, and a motor. The motor and the transmission part are mounted on the skid base, and the rear end of the ram frame is hinged with the transmission shaft. Under the action of the centrifugal force of the eccentric block, the ram frame can swing up and down around this axis.
Impact ramming has better effects on cohesive soil. Impact ramming is suitable for construction in buildings, grounds, courtyards, roadbeds, bridge piles, trenches, fields, narrow sites, and other environments. It can be competent for construction tasks that large and medium-sized machinery cannot complete. The product has the characteristics of advanced design, compact structure, stable performance, great compaction strength, flexible operation, safe use, wide application range, and high efficiency. However, the area of the rammer is limited, so it is not suitable for tamping large-area earthwork. For sand and gravel, a vibratory tamping rammer machine should be used for tamping.
The use matters of earth rammer
1. The parts are well connected and there is no looseness;
2. The internal combustion rammer has enough lubricating oil, the throttle controller rotates flexibly; the electric rammer is reliably connected to zero or ground, and the surface of the cable is insulated.
3. In order to lubricate the machine parts and increase the machine temperature to facilitate normal operation, after the internal combustion rammer starts, the internal combustion engine should run at idle speed for 3-5 minutes, and then gradually increase the throttle, wait until the rammer beats and stabilizes before operation.
4. After the electric rammer is switched on and started, the direction of rotation of the motor should be checked, and the commutation line should be reversed if there is an error.
5. During operation, the rammer should be mastered correctly and not tilted. In order to reduce the vibration to the human body, the handle should not be held too tight, and the forward speed of the rammer should be controlled.
6. During normal operation, do not press down the handle forcefully, which will affect the jumping height of the rammer. When working on loose packing or going uphill, the handle can be slightly pressed down, and the forward speed of the rammer should be increased.
7. Where the compactness needs to be increased, the tamping machine can be controlled by the handle to repeatedly tamping in place.
8. According to the operation requirements, the internal combustion impact rammer should be adjusted by adjusting the size of the throttle to change the vibration frequency of the rammer within a certain range.
9. Internal combustion rammers are not suitable for continuous operation at high speeds. The air-cooled four-stroke high-speed (4000r/min) gasoline engine of the rammer’s internal combustion engine system will be damaged due to excessive temperature if the operation time is too long at high speed. Do not stop suddenly when the internal combustion engine is running at high speed.
10. Electric rammers should be equipped with leakage protection devices, and operators must wear insulated gloves and insulated shoes. During operation, the cable should not be pulled too tightly, and the wire end installation should be checked frequently to avoid looseness and cause leakage. It is strictly forbidden to work in the rain.
11. During operation, when the impact ramming makes an abnormal noise, it should be shut down immediately for an inspection.
12. When transferring for a short distance, first lift the handle of the rammer slightly upwards, put the transport wheel into the hook of the rammer, and then press down the handle to tilt the center of gravity backward before pushing the handle to transfer the rammer.
13. After the operation, the silt and attachments on the tamping plate should be removed, and the tamping machine should be kept clean and properly kept.
Choose to buy rammer
After deciding between a tamping rammer and a vibratory plate compactor, you know what will happen next: a terrible purchase.
But instead of waiting in a long queue in the store or explaining to the store staff what you are looking for, why not just deliver your equipment to you?
At IDEAL Machinery Equipment Company, we will send you the best quality equipment. You don’t have to expect long lines in the store and don’t have to worry about poor quality tools or take time out of work to buy equipment.
Our goal is to provide technicians with professional equipment without the hassle you encounter in the store. If you are ready to obtain trading tools in an easy way, please contact us immediately.